jrenaut…

"Let’s say I want to be an author. I’m into horror, so I read a bunch of horror books to hone my craft. I read a lot of Stephen King, and now a lot of what I write is pretty heavily influenced by his style. 

"He’s a pretty successful author, so this isn’t really a bad thing. Now, no one would consider this copyright infringement, right? Every author ever is influenced by what they read. It’s one of the first things they teach you in writing class – go read more.

"So what is the difference between me reading Stephen King and bits of his style creeping into mine, and an LLM reading EVERYONE, and bits of their style creeping into its writing? 

"The only difference is volume. And there’s nothing in copyright law that says 'doing this once is fine, doing it 100,000 times is a violation'." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perplexity

Aphorisms: AI

DeepAI's Austen on China