Shelley Winters: What did Charles Laughton give me?


Shakespeare didn't have any sound effects or scenery.  He created with onomatopoeia.  With the rhythms.  He created the sound, the fury and the tempest.  The language makes the storm.  

With Hamlet, he creates the spookiness of incest.  You know?  He does it all with the language.  

I have a theory that Shakespeare was a group of actors, not just one.  Because "shake-a-spear", right?  And "Will", for those times, was like "John Doe."  The name " Will."  That's just a theory, I can't prove it. There were so many plays, and so many sonnets, and he died so young.  So much poetry.  

I have a feeling that it was a group of actors, that one of them was a Prince with a University education.  Every few years they talk about opening his tomb.  But I don't know.  Unless the man was such a genius, which he might have been, like Mozart, how could he have written all that?  

Unless he was, well I know he was an insomniac.  Because, "Sleep, that sometimes shuts up sorrow's eyes, steal me a while from my own company." 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perplexity

Aphorisms: AI

Is this Dalle3 supposed to narrate with images?